Sunday, December 26, 2010

Robert T. Bakker and The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek


"Stegosaurus was common only on well drained, dry soil."-- Robert T. Bakker, Author and Paleontologist.

Bakker's novel, Raptor Red, always reminds me of my favorite dinosaur novel from my childhood, The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek. I guess as a kid I read quite a few books, but there weren't a lot of them that I read and reread and reread. The novel by Evelyn Sibley Lampman is one that I did.

That it wasn't founded in solid science didn't matter to me. The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek was a great book of adventure, where to children encounter a holdover from the Jurassic living out in the empty wilds near their desert ranch. It caught my imagination.

As an adult, Bakker's Raptor Red, a novel about a year in the life of a Utah Raptor, did catch my attention and interest. It is founded in solid science and scientific theory, making it an interesting mix of fiction--historical fiction from the early Cretaceous period.

No comments:

Post a Comment