Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Remembering Otis Johnson

`
Otis Johnson passed away last night. His cancer finally caught up with him.

He was the husband of my wife's very close friend Robin--they've remained the best of friends over the years and sometimes despite the miles.

My family had the opportunity to vacation with Otis and Robin, and celebrate several Thanksgivings in the company of him and his family. Even so, vast number of people knew him far better than me, but what I can say about Otis from my experience is that he was a caring husband and father, a sharp guy, a hard worker and on the job problem solver.

He's going to be missed.

Otis and Robin, and my Family preparing for
an Airboat Tour of the Western Everglades 2009
A side note, for those who read my novels. In Blood Sword, near the end there is a corporal at Flank Hawk's side, a soldier/make-due archer among Prince Halgadin's troops. Sometimes when I need a certain type of character, I think of someone I know as the foundation. Although a minor character, he was one I imagined as consistent and one that gets the job done. The scenes with that corporal/archer, where he appeared, Otis was my mind's eye model. As such I appropriately named the corporal, Otis.
`

6 comments:

  1. So sorry! You guys have been through a lot lately. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. Knowing Otis is now in paradise makes it easier.

      Delete
  2. What a nice tribute to your friend, Otis. Sorry for your family's loss and happy to read about your friend's place in Blood Sword. I am certain his family will appreciate it, and he would have been proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dean. Whenever I reread those sections, I'll certainly think of Otis.

      Delete
  3. My condolences to Otis Johnson's family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Jeff. He was a pretty neat guy.

      Delete