Saturday, October 11, 2014

Three Topics of Reading: Or What I'm Reading and Listening to at the Moment

`

Fitting in reading is always challenging for a writer, at least as one busy as me. But I think it's important. What would an engineer that designs automobiles say? "I don't have time to drive cars around on occasion, I'm too busy designing and building one."

Right now in ebook I'm reading: Assassin's Curse by Debra L Martin and David W. Small. It's a new series and authors for me. I'm about 45% through and while the storyline is predictable in some ways, in others it's turned out pretty twisty and interesting to read.


In print book I'm reading: Hawk by Steven Brust. This is his latest release in the Vlad Taltos series. I'm not very far along as I only have read the first 45 pages yesterday evening. It's a good start with action and a problem (or several) for Vlad, and I enjoy Vlad and his adventures, along with the regular recurring characters--especially Kragar, who, from the description, is supposed to play a decent role.

This is the 14th book in the Vlad Taltos series, with a number of other books written in the same world. Not the best to start off with, but all are available in ebook, print and audiobook. There were a couple in the series that were average reads, but those are compared to others written by Brust, who writes pretty darn well.


In audiobook, I'm listening to What's So Great about Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza and narrated by Jeff Riggenbach, Actually it's a 're-listening' as I've read it several times and this would be my third listen. Right, I re-listen to books often, especially when driving in my truck to work or elsewhere--and sometimes with my wife and family in my wife's Camaro. This book is a challenging read and listen. It makes you think and ponder--at least it does me. Each time through I remember what was discussed and get a little better grasp of the content.

Only 45 minutes of audio left. The number 45 (%, Pages, Minutes) is an interesting coincidence.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your current reading list. :) I seem to be jumping all over as usual. I need to step back and gain a better focus. And, quit trying to read material which doesn't gain my interests. Time is too short to be forcing oneself to read something just to say you read it. :) Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Cher. Reading something just to have read it isn't as fulfilling, especially if your time is pressed. I know mine is. Thanks for taking a moment to share your notion. :)

      Delete